How to build a great LinkedIn "Summary"
Overview/What You Will Learn
Suggestions for creating a compelling Summary, the first section of your profile that a visitor sees, right under your name, headline and photo. It is your “first impression,” so make it as strong as it can be.
NOTE: the latest limit for the length is 2,000 characters.
- Eight guidelines are offered to build your marketable qualities:
- Do not copy and paste your resume; the writing style expected is very different.
- Make it professional, but conversational with personality
- Use short and concise chunks of information
- Begin with a strong statement in one sentence
- Follow with brief statement about background and performance – not your entire history – covering your impact and accomplishments
- Say something about your MBA, including special projects, both individual and team.
- Include a statement about what you seek, in terms of company culture and role.
- If there is room, add items that speak to your special qualities (testimonial quotes, volunteer leadership and hobbies, if appropriate
Your Next Steps / Tips for Success
Ross Macpherson is the President of Career Quest, a Certified Personal Branding Strategist, Certified Online Identity Strategist, Certified Interview and Job Search Coach, and is recognized as one of the best resume writers in North America. With over 15 years experience in the career industry, he specializes in advanced strategies that help senior and executive professionals throughout the US, Canada, and internationally. His work has been featured in 18 career publications.
Ross routinely speaks to MBA programs across North America, and is known for delivering powerful and entertaining sessions that teach real-world success strategies. He has also spoken at major career events, global industry conferences, professional associations, and executive networking groups across the U.S. and Canada, and his high-energy style has consistently put him at the top of the career management speaking circuit. Contact Ross at firstname.lastname@example.org